How to divorce is one thing and we cover that elsewhere. But how to divorce and keep the children happy is much harder.
Of course, there is a lot of emotion around. I stress that when I use the word “happy” it is meant to mean “relatively happy” as normally they won’t be. But sometimes they can be relieved to be away from a daily angry atmosphere, waiting for the rows to start.
My top tips are these:
- do tell the children what is happening
- try not to blame the other, no matter how tempting
- talk to the other parent about children issues and have a rule that these discussions are in a different atmosphere to any others
- use a mediator
- keep out of Court, it will double the anger and the legal costs
- listen to your divorce lawyers advice, try not to hurt the other by using the children
It is possible to divorce and keep the children “happy”.