Family law has suddenly, it seems, attracted the attention of all the political parties!
I will not bore you with their proposals for change (frankly, they don't add up to much except a lot of words) but these are some of mine:
- require couples to have a course of information and counselling before marriage (e.g. "how to argue"!)
- make prenuptial agreements clearly enforceable
- make the automatic rule on divorce to be 50/50 unless there is a prenuptial saying otherwise
- no fault divorce---register, then get one after 1 year
- make grandparents rights clear
- make big costs orders against those (often only 1 out of the 2 involved) who do not negotiate properly and cause a Court case
What would your proposals be?