Like most websites we use cookies to improve your experience and provide us with anonymous visitor information. If you are happy with this use of cookies click OK.
Read more about our use of cookies and how you can switch off cookies in our Privacy Policy. [x] Close

Family Law Blog

Comment on divorce & family law 

Who can divorce under English Law?

For those living overseas, perhaps having followed a spouse to a new job, there could be horror at the thought of a relationship breaking down and having to go through a divorce in a foreign court, with matters conducted in a language you don't fully understand.

But fear not - this is one case where the English legal system can really come to your rescue. 

If you are originally from England or Wales, currently living in another part of the world and want to use the English Courts to obtain a divorce you probably can.

If the divorce is likely to be amicable it can be a very easy process to get, what we call, an expat divorce without you having to return to the UK.

Of course there might be reasons why your partner would want to start divorce proceedings abroad. After all it is often said that the Courts of England and Wales are the most generous in the world to wives.

The important thing is to understand what options are available and if you want to use the English Courts to get the application in first, as if your partner has already filed for divorce elsewhere in the world you will be stuck with that.

Andrew Woolley
Divorce solicitor


Receive your FREE guide

Your free guide will be available to download immediately and a copy sent by email. Your email address will not be used to send any further correspondence without your permission.