Like most websites we use cookies to improve your experience and provide us with anonymous visitor information. If you are happy with this use of cookies click OK.
Read more about our use of cookies and how you can switch off cookies in our Privacy Policy. [x] Close

Divorce Lawyer Videos

Information and advice on divorce & family law 

Can I change the locks or force my ex to move out?

One question that I am often asked by people, usually at the start of a matter is whether or not they can change the locks on the family home. The simple answer is if the property is in joint names then neither party should really seek to exclude the other person without that person’s consent. Sometimes I am also asked whether or not a person can make another person move out of the family home so for example if a husband and wife are separating, a wife might ask whether or not she can exclude her husband from the property. There are some circumstances in which this can be done and what I would advise anybody is to seek advice from a lawyer about whether or not they fit those circumstances at that time. 


Receive your FREE guide

Your free guide will be available to download immediately and a copy sent by email. Your email address will not be used to send any further correspondence without your permission.