Child arrangement order

Woolley & Co, solicitors: family law, divorce law
  • Family law expertise 
  • Qualified lawyers
  • Speed & flexibility
  • Recommended
  • Plain english
  • Fixed fees
  • more...
A child arrangement order is an order from the Court setting out arrangement for your child to live and have contact with both parents.

It is not compulsory to have a child arrangement order to provide you with access to your child. Living arrangements and contact can normally be agreed between the parents. However, you will need to apply for a child arrangement order if you cannot agree as parents, of if you feel a child or grandchild is being denied a relationship with you.

How to get a child arrangement order

You may need to seek advice from a specialist family lawyer who will advise you of your rights to apply to the court. For example, grandparents do not currently have automatic rights to apply to the court and will need to seek leave of the court.

Your lawyer can prepare the application to the court on your behalf and arrange for this to be issued and served upon the other party before arranging representation at the first court hearing. This is what we call stage one. Often matters will be agreed and concluded at the first hearing.

If not, there will be further stages to be followed which can include filing of evidence in the form of statements and/or the preparation of a report by an officer of  CAFCASS (the Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service) who will make recommendations to the court to assist the court in making a decision. This is called stage two and would include at least one further court hearing.

The third and final stage would be the final hearing at which time the court will consider all evidence before making a final decision.

How much does it cost to apply for a contact order?

The application can be quite involved and in stage one will include the following;

  • preparation of the application to include a short statement relating to the issues in dispute;
  • preparing any supplemental application if there is any alleged risk of harm to the child where they are currently living;
  • drafting all the papers for your approval and then lodging them with the Court for issue. It is usual for the application to be lodged in the Court that is nearest to where the child is living;
  • arranging for service of the papers on all relevant parties;
  • filing the certificate of service with the court;
  • advice of the date for the Court hearing and arranging legal representation for you.

Woolley & Co, Solicitors can often offer a fixed price (which ranges from £750 - £1,000 + VAT depending on individual circumstances). There is also a statutory court fee of £215. The fixed fee generally excludes the cost of legal representation at the First Hearing. This will likely be in the region of £300 - £750 depending on where the proceedings are being heard, the level of complexity in the case and what level of expertise is required. Your lawyer can agree with you a price for the first hearing once these details are known.

Happily, a large number of cases are resolved at the first hearing. However, if this is not possible and your case proceeds beyond the first hearing, then the further work and cost of the additional stages will be discussed with you and agreed beforehand.

©2014 Woolley & Co, Solicitors. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. No unauthorised copying, extraction or other use is allowed except with our prior written permission. Woolley & Co Solicitors is the trading name of Woolley & Co Limited, company number 07387222. Woolley & Co is a member of the Law Society and authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. A list of directors is available from our registered office which is Warwick Enterprise Park, Wellesbourne, Warwick, CV35 9EF. In the unlikely event you have a complaint about any aspect of our service, please see details of our complaints procedure.