Get a Call Back Call: 0800 321 3832
Get a Call BackCall: 0800 321 3832

Child maintenance

Financial support for your child

Child support or child maintenance is financial support that helps towards a child’s everyday living costs. Payment is made by the absent parent to the parent, caregiver or guardian, with whom the children mainly live.

In family law, child support is not arranged as part of a divorce as such but the Court will want to be assured that arrangements regarding where the child will live and arrangements for continued parental involvement with both parents have been made.

The Courts no longer have powers to order the payment of child maintenance – instead this was handed over to the Child Support Agency (CSA), now known as the Child Maintenance Service (CMS).

You can avoid relying in the CMS by making an agreement with the other parent. Ideally you should have child maintenance looked at and sorted out at the same time as spousal maintenance as part of agreeing a financial settlement.

If you are considering divorce or separation you should take advice from an experienced family lawyer to ensure you understand your rights and obligations and to help you reach an agreement to avoid having to rely on the CMS.

How much financial support will the children get?

The amount of financial support an absent parent, normally the father, should contribute for the welfare of any children varies widely as it is reliant on so many different factors. These include income, assets, age of the child, levels of savings, pension contributions, any special health needs the child has and any additional support already being given to support the home where the child lives.

For specific amounts you must either reach an agreement between both parties amicably, often with the help of your divorce solicitor, or else rely on the CMS to sort out the case for you.

How can Woolley & Co, solicitors help?

Take advantage of our fixed fee two hour assessment when one of our family lawyers will expertly assess your personal circumstances, and advise you whether it is better to make an application to the courts, or leave things to the CMS. You should seek advice as early as possible, so that we can help you to make the right decision for your children.

Remember, a CMS assessment may be better for you than a court order, or vice versa but once either is made, there are long-term implications for children. You may therefore need help to choose the best option.

Help with the CMS

NACSA helps parents and families who are experiencing difficulties with the CMS.

Call Woolley & Co, family lawyers on 0800 321 3832 to arrange a telephone appointment with one of our family law experts, or complete our online form

Find a Lawyer

Like most websites we use cookies to improve your experience and provide us with anonymous visitor information. If you are happy with this use of cookies click OK. Read more about our use of cookies and how you can switch off cookies in our Privacy Policy.

[x] Close
OK, I accept cookies