Woolley & Co, solicitors: family law, divorce law
  • Family law expertise 
  • Qualified lawyers
  • Speed & flexibility
  • Recommended
  • Plain english
  • Fixed fees
  • more...
“...many many thanks again for your professionalism, patience and persistence which in the end, won the d....
“...thanks a lot for doing a great job in sorting out my divorce...”
More client testimonials
If you are going through a divorce or separation you will need to come to an agreement about your finances. You can do this with, or without the help of solicitors, although you may wish to take advice on your options and make sure any agreement you reach is confirmed in writing and, if advised, made into a court order.

How solicitors can help you achieve a financial settlement

Solicitors can help in a number of ways – by advising on the approach to take and the facts the court would take into account if they were asked to get involved; by negotiating with your spouse (normally via their solicitors) or if necessary by preparing your case and presenting it to the Courts for a Judge’s decision on the division of matrimonial assets.

Agreeing a divorce settlement without solicitors

You may be able to come to a mutually acceptable agreement about your family finances without the help of a solicitor. It is, however, very important to consider the following:
  • Is the proposed settlement fair?
  • Does it take into account the needs of any children and who will be looking after the children?
  • Does the settlement take into account all assets held by both parties, including property, pensions, shares, business interests, savings and investments?
  • Have you, or should you, obtain proper valuations for significant assets before agreeing the division between you?
If you have doubts on any of these points it is best to take advice.

Having come to a mutually agreed settlement it is important to have a formal agreement drawn up to reflect your decision. This is done in the form of a Consent Order which once approved and sealed by the Court is a legally binding document. If it is a clean break order, this means that no further financial claims can be made by either party.

Why you need a consent order

Without a consent order it would be possible for your spouse or ex-spouse to make a claim in the future. So, for example, if you won the lottery or received an inheritance your ex might be able to claim a share.

A Woolley & Co family lawyer can draw up a consent order, often for a fixed fee. Call 0800 321 3832 to discuss your requirements with a divorce lawyer.
©2014 Woolley & Co, Solicitors. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. No unauthorised copying, extraction or other use is allowed except with our prior written permission. Woolley & Co Solicitors is the trading name of Woolley & Co Limited, company number 07387222. Woolley & Co is a member of the Law Society and authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. A list of directors is available from our registered office which is Warwick Enterprise Park, Wellesbourne, Warwick, CV35 9EF. In the unlikely event you have a complaint about any aspect of our service, please see details of our complaints procedure.