Like most websites we use cookies to improve your experience and provide us with anonymous visitor information. If you are happy with this use of cookies click OK.
Read more about our use of cookies and how you can switch off cookies in our Privacy Policy. [x] Close

Family Law Blog

Comment on divorce & family law 

Divorce papers

"Divorce papers" is a phrase often asked about. But what are they, as they are not a phrase used by the legal system?

They will either be the papers received at the start of the divorce, called the divorce petition or the paper received at the end (the one needed to show the final legal and of the marriage and to allow a remarriage) called the decree absolute.

Come to think of it, "divorce petition" is an odd phrase these days isn't it, being signed only by the person asking for the divorce only?

 Maybe the system could call it a divorce "request" instead, or is that too easy?!

Andrew Woolley
Divorce Solicitor


Receive your FREE guide

Your free guide will be available to download immediately and a copy sent by email. Your email address will not be used to send any further correspondence without your permission.