Like most websites we use cookies to improve your experience and provide us with anonymous visitor information. If you are happy with this use of cookies click OK.
Read more about our use of cookies and how you can switch off cookies in our Privacy Policy. [x] Close

Divorce Lawyer Videos

Information and advice on divorce & family law 

Expat divorce – can you get divorced from abroad?

Divorce solicitor Andrew Woolley explores the circumstances in which a UK citizen living abroad can get a divorce under English divorce law.

You will need an expat divorce:

  • If you are originally from England or Wales, currently living in another part of the world and want to use the English Courts to obtain a divorce.
  • If you have lived outside the UK for a number of years, have only recently returned and want to divorce here.
  • If you are from outside the UK, have made your home in England or Wales and choose to divorce here.
  • If your spouse lives outside the UK and there may be issues in tracing them or debate about where to get divorced.

There are some other circumstances where an ‘expat divorce’ applies. There are some complex legal issues to consider so it always best to take advice from an expert in international divorce issues.


Receive your FREE guide

Your free guide will be available to download immediately and a copy sent by email. Your email address will not be used to send any further correspondence without your permission.