Get a Call Back Call: 0800 321 3832
Call now Request a call

Expat divorce FAQs

Expat and international divorce questions

How to get a divorce if you live outside the UK

Q. Can I divorce in England if I live abroad?

A. You may well be able to if you can prove a link back to the UK, for example you were born here, still have property or business interests here and / or intend to return to live here. This is quite a complex area of law, known as international jurisdiction, so it is best to take advice on your particular set of circumstances.  Call on +44 (0) 1789 330321 or 0800 321 3832 or request a call back using our form for advice on international divorce law.

Q. What is an expat divorce?

A. We use the term expat or international divorce to describe any divorce using the English court system in the following circumstances:

  • If you are originally from England or Wales but currently live in another part of the world.
  • If your marriage took place abroad.
  • If you have lived outside the UK for a number of years, have only recently returned and want to divorce here.
  • If you and / or your spouse are from outside the UK, have made your home in England or Wales and choose to divorce here.
  • If your spouse lives outside the UK and there may be issues in tracing them or debate about where to get divorced.

There may be other circumstances where an ‘expat divorce’ or international divorce law applies. There are some complex legal issues to consider so it always best to take advice from a lawyer experienced in international divorce issues. Call +44 (0) 1789 330321 or 0800 321 3832 to speak to one of our expat divorce specialists.

Get Advice