Domestic Violence and Personal Safety

Everyone has the right to live without fear for their safety. No one has the right to cause you harm or threaten you. You have the right to complain to the police, as such behaviour may constitute a criminal offence.

Domestic abuse occurs across society. Although government figures show that domestic abuse consists mainly of violence by men against women, it is not restricted to these circumstances. Men too are abused by their partners and children can also be caught up in domestic violence.

Domestic violence is any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (be it physical or emotional) between adults who are or have been in a relationship together, or between family members, regardless of gender or sexuality.

Although domestic violence is chronically under reported, research estimates it:

  • accounts for 16% of all violent crime
  • one incident of Domestic Violent is reported to the police every minute
  • 45% of women and 26% of men have experienced at least one incident of domestic violence in their lifetime
  • 1/3 of all reported incidents are violence against men, 2/3rds against women
  • each year there are around 30 million recorded incidents of physical violence, threats of violent or incidents of sexual abuse against women by their current or former partner
  • 54% of UK rapes are by a woman's current or former partner
  • on average two women per week are killed by their current or former partner, this equates to 1/3rd of all female homicide victims.

(2009 figures)

The NHS has a very useful website which offers information and practical advice for victims of domestic violence.

Using a Solicitor in a Case of Domestic Violence
Solicitors can help you in a number of ways:

  • To apply for an injunction - an injunction is a 'civil law order' which you can use to help keep you safe. It places legal restrictions on your partner to try to prevent or limit any further violence.
  • For orders to do with children - applying for / or responding to, orders under the Children's Act (child arrangement order, prohibited steps order, specific issues order)
  • Getting a divorce or a judicial (legally recognised) separation - a solicitor would deal with the proceedings and any financial settlements you need to claim.

Call Woolley & Co on 0800 3213832 to discuss your case with one of our legal experts.

Please note we are unable to provide free advice and do not handle legal aid or publically funded cases. If you think you may be entitled to legal aid you can find contact details for mediators and solicitors who handle Legal Aid cases on the Community Legal Aid website.

Why choose woolley and co 
  expertise Expertise - Woolley & Co Solicitors employs only lawyers experienced in family law and divorce. All our lawyers work exclusively on family law matters.
  qualified Qualified - Woolley & Co employs only fully qualified legal experts. We have a mixture of solicitors, barristers and legal executives.
  speed & flexibility Speed & Flexibility - Our lawyers set their own working hours and therefore can be available for advice in the evening and weekend.
  plain english Plain English - The legal world is full of jargon. We avoid it where possible and if we have to use legal terms we will always explain what it means.
  fixed fees Fixed Fees - We have realised the importance of being able to budget. For many services we therefore offer a fixed fee for the work that we do.
©2014 Woolley & Co, Solicitors. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. No unauthorised copying, extraction or other use is allowed except with our prior written permission. Woolley & Co Solicitors is the trading name of Woolley & Co Limited, company number 07387222. Woolley & Co is a member of the Law Society and authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. A list of directors is available from our registered office which is Warwick Enterprise Park, Wellesbourne, Warwick, CV35 9EF. In the unlikely event you have a complaint about any aspect of our service, please see details of our complaints procedure.