Like most websites we use cookies to improve your experience and provide us with anonymous visitor information. If you are happy with this use of cookies click OK.
Read more about our use of cookies and how you can switch off cookies in our Privacy Policy. [x] Close

Family Law Blog

Comment on divorce & family law 

What am I entitled to in a divorce settlement?


What am I entitled to in a divorce settlement.

There is no one answer to the question: what am I entitled to in a divorce settlement? Every case is different because the circumstances of every couple are different.

The Money Advice Service (MAS) offers a divorce settlement calculator but it does make a lot of assumptions and we would urge extreme caution if using a tool like this. In short, don’t get your hopes up or, conversely, get disheartened, if you do get a figure tumble out of the bottom after entering your details.

A report in the Telegraph (The Hidden Costs of Divorce) put the average cost of divorce at £44,000 in the UK. This includes the cost in “lost assets”. However, it does not give an average of the settlement figure.

The best way to get an idea is to seek advice from an experienced family lawyer who can look at your circumstances and give an honest view on where you are, what problems areas to expect and, on the face of it, the route a decision on finances might take. However, it is dependent on full disclosure from your partner during the divorce process, which can throw up unforeseen issues – sometimes good, sometimes bad.

What your solicitor will do is break the finances down into three distinct claim areas. The first of these is capital claims, which include properties, shares and savings. Pension value is the second area to be considered. The last element is income, for both parties, including any from additional property rentals and that type of thing.

The starting point then will normally be a 50/50 split. From there, a variety of things are taken into account and negotiations can be protracted. It's worth bearing in mind that the final settlement amount will consider the length of your marriage.

We would always urge clients to persevere. Not agreeing between the two of you and having to go to court will add significant additional cost and eat into the pot of assets you are arguing about. Better to make concessions than go to court, potentially lose more and have a judge give a ruling which might be less favourable to you. In short, you have less control and will have less money to divide.

Things that will affect the 50/50 stance are the fact that one party may wish to relinquish their benefit from the sale of any property in return for keeping a greater portion of the pensions pot and savings. If one party, often the wife, has given up a career to stay at home and raise children, it may be considered that her earning potential in the future has been affected and so she may be entitled to a larger chunk of the assets from the divorce.

Of course, what we haven’t mentioned so far are the needs of any children. Their needs and rights take priority and their care needs to be taken into account when agreeing a financial settlement.

Once agreement has been reached you really should arrange a clean break order, drawing a line under any future claims by an ex-spouse.

Andrew Woolley
Woolley & Co, Solicitors


Loading comments...

Ive been separated from husband 11yrs after 26yrs of marriage due to his infidelity, he has been paying me a monthly sum to date, but now wants a divorce which as we are pensioners leaves me not due for half his works pension should he die or after divorce, l am panicking as l only receive a small state pension, we have already halved our property value, so where does this leave me…he has since put his monies into his new relationships property .

By Ann Beale on Friday July 27, 2018


I am so sorry to see what you say, it must indeed be very unsettling for you.

I cannot advise you without knowing all the details and especially any wording on any agreements used around the time of the sharing of the house proceeds. That said, I would normally expect that you’d be very much taken care of in terms of his works pension and the apparent loss of your part enjoyment of it.

You really do need to take advice from a specialist family law firm.

Meanwhile, the link that follows gives some further info in this complex area and also contains a short video explaining things further.

By Andrew Woolley on Tuesday July 31, 2018

What do you think?

Have your say



Receive your FREE guide

Your free guide will be available to download immediately and a copy sent by email. Your email address will not be used to send any further correspondence without your permission.