Get a Call Back Call: 0800 321 3832
Get a Call BackCall: 0800 321 3832

Divorce lawyer videos

Information and advice on divorce & family law

Expat divorce – can you get divorced from abroad?

Divorce solicitor Andrew Woolley explores the circumstances in which a UK citizen living abroad can get a divorce under English divorce law.

You will need an expat divorce:

  • If you are originally from England or Wales, currently living in another part of the world and want to use the English Courts to obtain a divorce.
  • If you have lived outside the UK for a number of years, have only recently returned and want to divorce here.
  • If you are from outside the UK, have made your home in England or Wales and choose to divorce here.
  • If your spouse lives outside the UK and there may be issues in tracing them or debate about where to get divorced.

There are some other circumstances where an ‘expat divorce’ applies. There are some complex legal issues to consider so it always best to take advice from an expert in international divorce issues.

Find a Lawyer