Call: 0800 321 3832 Request a free callback

Family Law Blog

Comment on divorce & family law

Change of name on divorce

By , on Tuesday November 10, 2015 at 11:55 am

Marriage, civil partnerships or divorce could result in a change of name for one or in some cases both parties. This page provides a useful checklist of who to contact.After changing your name you will need to tell everyone who needs to contact you, provides services to you, or has dealings with you. Start by writing to tell them that you have changed your name, giving your old and new details.

Below is a list of the types of organisations you should contact (though, for most people, there will be others). The list is broadly in order of priority, though this will depend on your circumstances. For example, you would need to tell anyone likely to be sending you a cheque or other payment at the same time as you change the name on your bank or building society accounts.


  • your employer, and former employers where you have a pension;
  • your pension provider or providers;
  • your landlord or mortgage company;
  • the Department for Work and Pensions;
  • your local authority (council), for such matters as council tax, housing benefit and social services;
  • the electoral registration officer at your local authority (you don't need to wait for an election for this);
  • utility companies (water, gas, electricity, phone and mobile phone);
  • banks, building societies and companies you have shares in;
  • credit-card, store-card and charge-card companies, other organisations you have a loan with, and mail-order companies;
  • Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA);
  • the TV Licensing Agency;
  • the Passport Agency;
  • the school, college or university you or your child attends;
  • the local library service;
  • insurance companies;
  • the Inland Revenue, to make sure that your tax and national insurance records are kept accurate;
  • your GP and dentist, and any other healthcare professionals or clinics you go to;
  • the trade union, professional bodies and clubs you belong to; and
  • any mailing lists you subscribe to.

If you are due to travel soon, the Passport Agency should be high up on your list. A new passport may also serve as proof of your name change for other organisations.

You will need to change your details on the electoral roll if you are likely to be applying for a loan or credit card, because banks and other financial services companies often use this as part of their credit checks.

Blog Author - Andrew Woolley

Andrew WoolleyAndrew Woolley

Andrew is the owner and managing partner of Woolley & Co. He regularly offers comments and views on a range of family law issues.

Get Advice