How to save on legal costs and lawyers fees
• Try hard to agree what you can yourselves (but make sure you understand your rights first)
• Get emotional support from friends or better still a counsellor but not your divorce solicitor
• Remember your aim; hopefully it is not to “get” the other person as that is very expensive
• Don’t argue over little things, spending thousands arguing about hundreds normally makes no sense.
• Agree a case plan and fees with your divorce lawyer at the start and ask them to confirm this in writing
• Here is more info on Understanding the Costs of Divorce.
The best way to divorce
• Talk. Try to keep communicating with your spouse even if only to explain what you are doing. Try to remove misunderstandings. But try to ignore what they say their lawyer said! It is normally a very selective choice from a long conversation and do remember: a divorce lawyer’s advice is based upon what they are told.
• Be honest, especially with your divorce lawyer. Don’t try to gloss over uncomfortable facts or fail to disclose all your assets.
• Don’t listen to legal advice from friends such as “In my divorce I got more than that”. Financial settlements vary significantly based upon the differing facts in differing cases.
Get advice from the right divorce lawyer and keep focussed and you will even keep that shirt!