Call: 0800 321 3832 Request a free callback

Divorce lawyer videos

Information and advice on divorce & family law

Can I change the locks or force my ex to move out?

Changing the locks

One question that I am often asked by people, usually at the start of a matter is whether or not they can change the locks on the family home. The simple answer is if the property is in joint names then neither party should really seek to exclude the other person without that person’s consent. Sometimes I am also asked whether or not a person can make another person move out of the family home so for example if a husband and wife are separating, a wife might ask whether or not she can exclude her husband from the property. There are some circumstances in which this can be done and what I would advise anybody is to seek advice from a lawyer about whether or not they fit those circumstances at that time.

Get Advice